Monday, January 17, 2011

Bonfire of the Vanities



Twenty years ago today my mother celebrated her last birthday. She was 43 and I was twelve. We were both so young.

My mother. Where do I even begin? There are a zillion adjectives that I can use to describe her--mostly all synonyms of loving, warm, beautiful, and generous--but I will tell you about her clothes, or, more accurately, my memory of her clothes.







In her small walk-in closet she had what seemed to me a million pairs of shoes--all heels, sandals, boots, and slip ons--lined up and stacked on the floor and stuffed in a rack behind the door. Hanging in a corner were a few very luxurious, very seductive, and very off-limits fur coats. Belts and scarves hung on a rod near my dad's suits, slacks, and dress shirts. Up above were soft winter blankets from Hong Kong, stored neatly in their original plastic packaging and emanating the stuffy scents of a faraway place.







And then there were the rows of dresses. Oh, the dresses! There were dresses from the days she dated my dad. Form-fitting, tiny-waisted, short dresses with long slits, mandarin collars, and cap sleeves. There were the mod, mid-length knit dresses and two pieces that were her mainstay after moving to the States; the ones with decorative details in the buttons, pockets, and matching fabric belts. There were the empire waist polyester/cotton-blend dresses in all different colors and patterns that would become for me the signature of motherhood at ease. And then there were the animal prints, pencil skirts, silk tanks, pleated trousers, rayon blouses, shoulder pads, and bolero blazers--these from her days as a working mother of seven still in her thirties.







The combination of scents in that closet--a tad of my dad, perfume, fabric and fur, the past and present--was distinctively grown-up, alluring, and comforting. That is, it was Mom. I have the usual childhood memories of sneaking into her closet, trying on her clothes, and fantasizing about transforming into a woman. And the delicious memory of my sister and brother and me sneaking candy in that refuge, huddled together surrounded by my mom's presence but in defiance of her, rushed and frantic and thrilled by our shared secret and loot.







Shortly after my mother's death (it could have been two months or two years--time had a way of shifting gears unexpectedly, one day passing by excruciatingly slow, the next day racing on unforgivably fast) my father shocked us all when he announced that he had donated all of her clothes. The closet was wiped out. Every last remnant of her gone.

I have come to accept that it wasn't an intentional act of malice on his part. He was just being the practical, unsentimental father figure that he was, or that he thought he should be. But the reason for his actions doesn't matter. What matters is that she was gone.



When I walk into that closet now, I still think that I can faintly make out the familiar, mysterious scents. Part of me hopes that her clothes have found their way into the closets of women who share her same sense of passion, beauty, love, and generosity. Perhaps in my scouring of racks, I am hoping to discover some of what was taken away so abruptly.



All I know for sure is that the clothes themselves are immaterial to me now. It's the searching and remembering that remains.

4 comments:

wasabipress said...

choking back tears.

Red Fox Literary said...

Now I know how you came to be so pretty--you got your mom's looks! An item of clothing can be so evocative of the person who once wore them. Maybe it's the intimacy of the fabric having once pressed against the skin of someone you loved. I remember being in a fabric store and coming across a plaid fabric that was exactly like a flannel nightgown my mom had when I was a kid and it immediately conjured up the feeling of being snuggled up next to her, in our cold French country house. I love the striped bell-sleeved top, the '70's maxi, and the '60s style mini---but my favorite is your mom sitting on the steps with those wonderful sandals and bell-bottom pants pressing that sassy little girl in sunglasses to her. That is style at its best: naturally elegant, relaxed, life-embrassing.

Just Lucy said...

I concur wholeheartedly with Abi. Brilliantly written. It reminds me of my mom and the smells of her closet and whether or not they remain in our childhood house that has recently been purchased by a young family. What smells will they bring? New clothes and styles? And will they have as amazing memories we have from growing up there.

lily said...

I remember opening that closet door and finding you, Lila and Ray, guiltily giggling with glee, mouths filled with candy.

Lily