Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Reflector



Every so often, more often than not, I wish I were a doer. I mean, a capital "D" kind of doer. I think about farmers, bridge builders, midwives, surgeons, elderly-care providers...I think about all that they accomplish in a day and all the lives that they've touched, and then I think about my day.

As depressing as that can get, I am finally learning to accept the fact that I have always been and always will be a reflector. Perhaps not even a capital "R" kind of reflector, or a useful kind of reflector for a bike or sailboat, just a liberal arts major kind of reflector. But when we give ourselves a moment to breath, aren't we all? Aren't we all prone to analyze the world around us, and, in turn, wonder how the world around us shapes us and our view of ourselves?

Which finally brings me to clothes and to Cindy Sherman. It comes as no surprise that in Sherman's early photographic days she was a serious thrifter. Many of the clothes she collected she wore to further a mood, a character, a story. Of course she left plenty of room for interpretation. When I look at one of her photographs, my mind races to fill in the gaps. Who is this girl and what happened to her? What did she do? What was done to her?



I am always filling in the gaps. Whatever we may wear, however we may project ourselves, minds will race to fill in the gaps. Fortunately there is no right or wrong answer, just interpretation and fantasy.

1 comment:

lila said...

Great photos.

I think getting through the day with two kids makes you a doer!