Tuesday, February 22, 2011

And now about clothes again...

Or not. Somehow this gorgeous piece from Pina Bausch's Nelken (Carnations) makes me think about my desires, dreams, hopes, regrets...and dresses. Maybe it will have the same effect on you. (Or not.)



I find it fascinating how simple changes in context--from the studio to the stage, from casual wear to the suit, from the intimacy of the first clip to the unexpected intrusion of the audience's laughter in the second--affect our perception of the performance. I can't say that I prefer one over the other. All I know is that the marriage of visuals (the movements, gestures, body) and audio (the music, lyrics, and mouthed words) is beautiful. It makes me want to put on a dress and--no, not dance on stage--just be.

1 comment:

Red Fox Literary said...

I've played this song on the piano since I was a little girl. To see
it performed like this was really interesting. The first version felt,
like you say, more intimate. But more expressive too. I liked being
able to see his entire upper body performing the familiar lyrics---the
second version was sleeker, more impersonal. Seeing Gershwin's lyrics
in sign language reveals another layer of their genius---both in terms
of rhythm and expressiveness. I always felt I understood the bones of
a poem better after I had translated it. Something similar is
happening here.