Friday, March 4, 2011

Temporal Pleasures



Some things weren't meant to last forever, but that doesn't mean they can't make life more interesting and fun. A little bit of sweetness and love never gets old.

And because I have a hard time letting go of lovely things (including empty but beautiful and still chocolatey-smelling boxes of chocolates), I couldn't yet bring myself to throw out these adorable hang tags that were snipped off of a few recent purchases I made at Mars. Talk about effective marketing--the descriptions are so sweet and succinct, and the fact that they are handwritten totally sells me. They somehow bring back those feelings I had playing store as a kid, getting the due date stamped in my library books, and passing notes with my best friend during fifth period.

Times will change, but fortunately the presence of the human touch will never go out of style. I'm back in Berkeley tomorrow for a sewing class (finally facing my fear of interfacing!)...so it will be hard to resist a trip to Mars for more vintage treasures and more treasured hang tags. After all--and I may be revealing the full, frightful extent of my packratedness by asking this, but--what else should one do with those gorgeous, crinkly, sparkly gold plastic trays that once housed objects so divine?

2 comments:

Jeannine said...

I love the part about playing store and library stamps.

SueMac said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Repurposing, especially for fun, gets me excited. (no, not THAT excited.)