Friday, March 11, 2011

Maker


I am no fashion historian. I don't even keep up much with today's fashions. And aside from the fact that, unbeknownst to my husband (because he most certainly wouldn't have been a willing accomplice), the names of my children were, on my part, partially inspired by two of my favorite designers (Sonia Rykiel for her big, frizzy hair, tiny cardigans, oversized sweater dresses, big tassels, jumpers, and bra-lessness; Marc Jacobs for his dowdy chic, vintage mash-ups, bold understatedness, Rufus Wainwright, and sexy sex-lessness), I really can't comment on the latest "it" jeans, bags, shoes, designers, perfumes, etc. But I do know what I love and what speaks to me.

For example, don't be surprised if I start wearing my hair like this again. (It feels so good to embrace big hair, literally and figuratively!)



So now that I have launched this blog and, just over two months from its inception, find myself not knowing what else to reminisce about, not wanting to take endless cropped photos of myself (despite appearances to the contrary), and not reconciled with the fact that I am a mostly-unpaid freelance reflector, I've decided to become a doer. Not the capital "d" kind of doer, no no. Perhaps I should say a "maker." I've decided to bring my sewing skills to the test, to go beyond pillowcases and curtains and baby blankies to finally make clothes for myself and my little girl and littler boy...and hopefully friends and extended family and anyone else willing to don clothes that likely will be navy blue, polyester (read: can handle spilt milk, bean-burrito fingers, and countless machine washes), vintage-inspired, and possibly just the slightest bit off in places. My first project is this cap-sleeved shirt. I wore it to lunch yesterday and my very sweet and/or very polite friends didn't say anything negative about it, which of course gave me more than enough ammunition to keep going.

This morning I was thrilled to find that this vintage-Gucci-belt-as-necklace really works in a sort of modern art kind of way.


There's nothing quite like stumbling upon something in my closet and seeing it in a totally different, totally awesome light. Or maybe it's just the cloudy, windy day getting to my head. The kids were already on their third or fourth episode of Diego courtesy of Netflix, I'm supposed to be editing, doing dishes and laundry, and it was coooold outside.

7 comments:

Molly said...

jo, you are talented! i covet that gorgeous capped-sleeve shirt of yours. i really think you're onto something. and i hope to see you with some big, big hair one of these days. :-)

Red Fox Literary said...

I think your hair looks awesome as is. That Gucci belt/capped-sleeve shirt combo is very nice. I really like the slits in the sleeves and on the side. They're sneaky sexy.

SueMac said...

Sexy blouse and look! I love the sleeves. Your writing is so natural, Jo, a pleasure to read. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Anna said...

What a gorgeous top. It looks perfect on you!

lila said...

I love your shirt. It looks great! I had no idea about the names!

Just Lucy said...

Jo! I love this cap sleeved shirt. And the belt as a necklace? Stunning! Keep at it. I want to see more! You are so fabulous!

lily said...

More than happy to wear anything you make! hint hint